THE WISE MAN and the SCHOLAR
1. The wise man speaks of truth, the scholar about it.
2. The wise man is in this world, the scholar of it.
3. The profane regard the wise man with disdain, but revere the scholar. (Until the death of the wise man places his memory within the purview of the scholar.)
4. The wise man’s domain is the eternal infinite, the scholar’s the time-bound history book.
5. The wise man speaks his own words, the scholar quotes the words of others.
6. The wise man’s intelligence is self-evident. the scholar requires credentials.
7. The wise man is the spirit of the word, the scholar quibbles over the letter.
8. The wise man knows neither heaven nor hell; the scholar knows hell and speculates about heaven.